Jack Wallen shows you how to create a team and add users in Portainer in a secure way.
Portainer is an excellent container management GUI that makes developing and managing your containers a lot easier. Teams is a feature that can be very useful for large organizations.
With Teams, you can create multiple teams, add users, and then create containers with access restricted only to teams that need to manage specific deployments. This feature not only helps you organize your workflow, but it can also give you greater control over the security of these deployments. Let’s learn how to create a team, add users, and assign a team to a container.
- Log in to Portainer, expand Users and click on Teams in the left navigation.
- In the resulting window, type the name of your new team and click Create Team.
- Click the name of the new team you just created, then click Add associated with all the users you want to add to the team. You must also designate a team leader; otherwise, you cannot assign the team to a container.
- Give your users access to the environment by clicking Environments, then Groups.
- Click Manage Access, select the user(s) who should have access to the group, and click Create Access.
- Click Environments, select the name of the environment you are working with, and click Manage Access.
- Select the users or team you want to give access to the environment and click Create access.
Now that your team is ready, let’s assign it to a new container.
- Click Home, select your environment, and click Containers in the left navigation.
- Click Add container, then click Restricted. You should be able to select the users or teams you want to give access to the new container.
Subscribe to TechRepublic How to make the technology work on YouTube for all the latest tech tips for professionals from Jack Wallen.